Sunday, June 7, 2009
Some readers may be surprised to find that the image shown is actually modern British army issue. It is issued to one of the most feared units in the British army: the Gurkhas.
It is their weapon of choice in close combat, rather than the bayonet.
The story of the Gurkhas is a long and historically complicated one.
Succinctly: Gurkhas hail from Nepal which was part of India. In its Empire building days, Britain made India one of its colonies. The Gurkhas were seen as brave and heroic fighters who were recruited into the colonial Indian army as a “Martial Race”, a term which meant that they were not classed as mercenaries.
With the independence of India in 1947 four regiments became part of the British army. Prior to this they have fought in both World Wars and latterly were part of the forces that in the 1980’s defeated the Argentine army in the Falklands and also served in the Middle East.
The Kukri shown above is the standard army issue with karda and chakmak.
Traditionally the blade is 12-15 inches (30-38cm) long. The karda is a small accessory blade used for many tasks. The chakmak is unsharpened and is used to burnish the blade. It can also be used to start a fire with flint.
Saturday, June 6, 2009
- I would've done it but I didn't want to show you how smart i am, it makes me feel bad.
- I was walking home and some bullies grabbed me and my backpack and took me to the woods. They tied me to a tree and ripped all my homework.
- These aliens.... wait you wouldn't believe it.
- My dog urinated on my homework.
- See my sister was doing a project where she had to cut a paper to look like a snowflake. Since my family can't afford paper, and I always think about my family first I gave my homework for my sister to cut up.
- I was cooking dinner, when my buddy called and asked if I had done it. When I told him no he asked whether he could borrow it to copy after I did it. I didn't want to be a cheater or a liar so I couldn't do it.
- My mom told me I didn't have to do it because she couldn't even get it.
- Those poor tree's.
- I needed something to clean up #4!
- I was too busy.